Our Reserved Black Strap Rum is pure non-GMO, fair trade, and organically grown.
We believe in conserving our planet and giving fair wages and fair living condition to the people that produce this amazing product.
Part of its mission is to "educate consumers and the food industry to help build awareness about GMOs and their impact on our health". It claims that everyone deserves an informed choice about whether or not to consume genetically modified organisms. Their primary strategy for providing consumers an informed choice and protecting a Non-GMO food supply is to leverage the power of the marketplace.
You can also visit the non-GMO Web site for more info :http://www.nongmoproject.org/
- avoidance of synthetic chemical inputs (e.g. fertilizer, pesticides, antibiotics, food additives), irradiation, and the use of sewage sludge;
- avoidance of genetically modified seed;
- use of farmland that has been free from prohibited chemical inputs for a number of years (often, three or more);
- for livestock, adhering to specific requirements for feed, housing, and breeding;
- keeping detailed written production and sales records (audit trail);
- maintaining strict physical separation of organic products from non-certified products;
- undergoing periodic on-site inspections.
You can find out more about Organically Certified and the practice here:
Fair trade is a social movement whose stated goal is to help producers in developing countries achieve better trading conditions and to promote sustainability. Members of the movement advocate the payment of higher prices to exporters, as well as improved social and environmental standards.
You can find out more about the 10 principles of fair trade and the values here:
Burning Sugar Cane Fields
Burning causes excessive leaves to be removed and preparing the way for the Harvesters, to processes the cane. An added benefit to this practice is that it reduces the need for applications of pesticides. making it easier and more efficient to grow.
In North America, sugar canes are replanted after two or three harvests to avoid a lowering in yields. In countries with a more traditional type of agriculture with smaller fields and hand harvesting, like in the Paraguay, sugar canes are often harvested up to 10 years before replanting.
The first Press is where the best juice is produced, since it is gentile only the best sugar cane juice comes true.
Black Strap Molasses
The result of this first boiling is called "first syrup","Second molasses" is created from a second boiling and sugar extraction,The third boiling of the sugar syrup yields dark, viscous blackstrap molasses, known for its robust flavor.
The term "black-strap" or "blackstrap" is an Americanism dating from 1875